Welcome to Rico Colorado!
Official website for the town of Rico Colorado
Rico is a quaint mountain town with a wide variety of historic and natural attractions. Located in southwest Colorado just 30 minutes from Telluride it offers a wide array of mountain activities such as camping, hiking, fishing, biking, and skiing. With iconic peaks and the clear flowing water of the Dolores river, the drive to Rico along the designated scenic byway on highway 145 will not disappoint.
For those who currently live in Rico and those who stop by and visit, the towns quiet community provides a great chance to connect with the mountain atmosphere.
Visit the Notice page for community information and updates.
Rico Board of Trustee’s August Meeting – School Closure Discussion
Please read the following letter and join us at 7:00 PM, August 15th at the Rico Town Hall to discuss this matter.
There have been reports of bears in trash cans on River Street. If you do not already have a bear-proof polycart, please contact Waste Management at (970) 565-1133 and order one.
Town of Rico Enacts Emergency Fire Ban
Due to on going concerns about fire hazard, especially over the 4th of July, the Town of Rico enacted an emergency fire ban at the Trustee’s meeting on June 20th. Please be advised that the following activities are strictly forbidden:
- All open fires within the Town of Rico including camp fires, stove fires, charcoal grills and barbecues. Propane grills stoves that can be turned off are permitted.
- Smoking except within a closed vehicle or trail or an area that paved, graveled or otherwise cleared of flammable material.
- Welding or operating any torch with an open flame.
- Operating any internal combustion engine (ie. chainsaw, generator or ATV) without a properly installed spark arresting device.
- Fireworks, including but not limited to blasting caps and rockets.
- Discharging firearms.
- Using motor vehicles off established road.
Deputies from the Dolores County Sheriff’s office will be enforcing these rules.